Re: Aluminum Box Cars?

Ian Cranstone

There were also experiments in aluminum boxcars in Canada in the years following the Second World War. Canadian National had 3 aluminum boxcars delivered in January 1946 (they also had five aluminum triple hoppers and five overhead ice bunker reefers built as well).

The Roberval & Saguenay Railway was a little more involved with aluminum, which had much to do with Alcan being a major online customer. 30 aluminum boxcars were delivered in 1947, and an additional car in 1949. They also rostered a significant number of aluminum hoppers.

Ian Cranstone
Osgoode, Ontario, Canada
lamontc@...

On 2022-07-20 10:18, Ray Hutchison wrote:

There was an Illinois Central aluminum box car on E-bay last week.  Not so interested in the car, but it did get me to thinking... Great Northern had one (only) aluminum box car.  Ebay had a NP aluminum box car listed a while ago.  Where these only experimental cars (I think that I read that somewhere, probably in relation to the GN car)?  Or a prototype for some railways?  (Southern Pacific had the silver overnight cars, but not certain if they were aluminum or not).

Ray Hutchison