Re: Aluminum Box Cars?

Richard Townsend

Years ago I did a clinic on aluminum freight cars at an RPM meet in Salem, Oregon. I’m visiting the east coast right now or I would dig it out. I had done a fairly exhaustive literature search and covered boxcars, tank cars, reefers, and hoppers. I’ll try to remember to dig it out when I get home next week.

On Jul 20, 2022, at 10:50 AM, Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:

Brian thanks for posting that digital scan C&A 1200.

The distinctive 14 panel aluminum box cars were built for five railroads C&A, NKP, RI, C&O, M&StL.

The Great Northern design was unique to the GN.

On 7/20/2022 10:32 AM, BRIAN PAUL EHNI wrote:

My bad; it was Alton, not GM&O.

 Brian Ehni

From: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Ray Hutchison <rayhutchison2@...>
Date: Wednesday, July 20, 2022 at 9:18 AM
To: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Aluminum Box Cars?

There was an Illinois Central aluminum box car on E-bay last week.  Not so interested in the car, but it did get me to thinking... Great Northern had one (only) aluminum box car.  Ebay had a NP aluminum box car listed a while ago.  Where these only experimental cars (I think that I read that somewhere, probably in relation to the GN car)?  Or a prototype for some railways?  (Southern Pacific had the silver overnight cars, but not certain if they were aluminum or not).

Ray Hutchison

Attachments:

Sterling, Massachusetts NKP 8502 aluminum AAR box car.jpg