Re: Aluminum Box Cars?

Tony Thompson

Clark Propst  wrote:

But their cars came later with newer designed parts. These cars were built using leftover aluminum sheets from WWII airplanes. I do know two M&StL were damaged. By then the replacement parts were so expensive they used steel parts and painted the cars in their paint scheme in use at the time.

I doubt the statement about leftover parts. I have the Alcoa document about their effort, along with Reynolds Aluminum, to find new markets for aluminum after the war, with all their wartime capacity available. And both aluminum companies considerably subsidized the material for the aluminum freight cars. One of the buyers, PFE, later stated that their two aluminum cars were entirely satisfactory, but could never have been justified for normal purchase because of the cost relative to steel. That quote is in the PFE book.

Tony Thompson