Re: Wood

Kevin Macomber

I prefer plywood, but use any 3/4" stock cut with my table saw. I am currently building a 13x28' layout all from scrap wood and am showing the steps on Facebook under Fitchburg Railroad On30. The key thing to dimensional lumber is having it acclimate to the room for a couple weeks to decrease water content. The second thing is I paint all of my benchwork black which both seals and hides it from the viewer.

Kevin
NGMC
www.narrowgaugemodeling.com

On 2022-07-21 07:15, Eric Hansmann wrote:
I've been using three-quarter inch Birch plywood as benchwork
components for years. I have been able to have a 4x8 sheet ripped into
three-inch wide boards at Lowes.These ripped boards have been better
and cheaper than dimensional pieces.
It's been a few years since I last bought benchwork material so I do
not know if policies have changed.
Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

On 07/21/2022 6:35 AM CDT Ted Larson via groups.io
<mhrreast@...> wrote:
For layouts
Instead of using dimensional lumber
Use plywood
To help avoid warping.
--
Ted Larson
Trainweb.org/MHRR --- GN in 1965 --- NASG.org