Re: WWII oil transport

George Eichelberger

Gerard:

Keep trying with your prototype and “historical” clinics….

Around ten years ago, Mike Brock of Cocoa Beach RPM fame, asked if I was interested in doing a clinic at the CCB RPM on a modeling, probably Southern prototype, subject. Although I said I could, I proposed doing a “historic” topic of some sort. Mike and I agreed maybe no one would attend and some that did would leave when they discovered it did not include putting high noses on HO diesels or something similar.

It is true that the first few years were not “hot tickets” but more folks attended the following years. One comment I heard/still hear was “I did not think this would be interesting but it certainly was”. I tell people the cross-over between attending prototype and modeling presentations makes both more interesting. The distinction I still see is the difference between “prototype modeling” and “model railroading”. The second group is not particularly interested in prototypes much beyond general information. I see the rise in “prototype modeling” coming from more awareness of the “real thing” and the story and documents that explain why the railroads had that equipment in the first place. (People who bought one of the SRHA Southern Railway 40 or 50 box car books have told me “I don’t need everything you put in those books”. A surprising number came back years later and say “Now I understand how useful that material is.”)

As I said, “keep trying”. Bridging the gap between modeling and prototype information is better for everyone. I see people becoming more interested in accurate modeling as information, parts, RTR and car kits become available.

Ike

PS One way I use to determine where on the "toy train to prototype modeling scale someone is” is how they describe the railroad historical groups. I consider them the best source of data on their railroads…period. When someone says “hysterical societies”, I’d rather be talking to about anyone else.

From the first issue to the last, I appreciated what Bob Hundman did with “Mainline Modeler”. The railroad historical groups publish some excellent modeling material but I know I miss articles from groups I am not a member of. I would be very happy to see a commercial magazine like MM be published again. I suggested to Bob years ago that MM could re-run selected HS group articles to expand their audience and provide quality content for the magazine. The existing modeling magazines are important but I expect they have to cater to the larger model train group when they make their editorial decisions.