Re: Bobber 2 Axle caboose late usage

Charlie Vlk

All-
Note the reference in the Wisconsin law to end doors and cupolas which was aimed at “widow maker” side door converted box cars.
The CB&Q had WWl and WW2 versions of these, both Class NE-5, and used them in yard and transfer service.
The Illinois Railroad Commission granted authorization for temporary use of marginally refitted boxcars as cabooses but I’ve not seen the NE-5s mentioned, but then again it was not a research item when I ran across the reference looking for something else.
The NP reference to CB&Q bobbers is interesting, I imagine the similarities were in the under frame springing which was well-engineered.  There was some cooperation between the mechanical departments of the Hill roads….
Charlie Vlk

On Jul 30, 2022, at 11:29 AM, Robert G P <bobgp5109@...> wrote:

Wonder about accounts of late (late 40's to mid 50's) usage of the shor 4 wheel bobber cabooses?

I dont expect road service to be in the min (local maybe) but know they still were used as yard pilots/platforms in some instances in the late 40's.

We have a very detailed one on our club layout which generates smiles/frowns equally! Ive personally recommended tossing it out the door into the gravel but a member has had it since the '60s! -So with my vote it stays...

We use it to switch in the yard just for fun.

-Thanks
Bob