Re: Pulpwood, Wood Chips: Uses other than Paper?

erick johnson

I remember clearly when our snow tires had bits of wood chips embedded in the rubber (I am pretty old).  Seems the rubber wore faster than the wood chips, and little wood chips would be sticking out of the surface of the tire. I would love to find one of those old tires for "show and tell". How about a tire retreading/recapping place?  A little brick building "Clem's Capping"

On Wed, Aug 3, 2022 at 12:48 PM Scott H. Haycock <shhaycock@...> wrote:
Folks,

The recent photos of pulpwood unloading has spurred a question. In the 1950s, were there any other uses for pulpwood and wood chips aside from paper manufacturing? I have some freight car projects for these type of cars, but no longer model a main line with through trains. I don't have room for a paper mill, so I'm looking for another, smaller industry that may have used these cars s a destination.

Thanks,
Scott Haycock