Re: UTLX X-3, 6.5K tank car

Norm Buckhart

I think you’re mixing volume with weight - so a greater density just means that the 6,500 gallons will weigh 1.3 x heavier - but still 6,500 gallons - so my decal set unfortunately will still be for a 8,000 gallon tank car.  Norm

On Aug 7, 2022, at 9:51 AM, Eric Hansmann <eric@...> wrote:

I’m still learning the nuances of tank car spotting features but gallon capacity becomes a math issue.

RCW kit noted has a 6,500 gallon capacity. Someone posted the Philadelphia Quartz lading would be 1.3 to 1.5 times the density of water.

6,500 x 1.3= 8,450

PQCX 110 is noted as having an 8,066 gallon capacity in the 1943 ORER.

So it’s on the ballpark, but I have no dimensional data on the PQCX prototype to see how it matches the UTLX class X-3 6,500 gallon cars.

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

On Aug 7, 2022, at 11:24 AM, Norm Buckhart <norm@...> wrote:

well you’re putting me on the spot here but they are certainly pretty similar  - if they are both 8,000 gal
norm

On Aug 7, 2022, at 9:17 AM, Jeff Helm <jeff.helm.60@...> wrote:

Norm, thank you for pointing that out!  I need to remember that you offer 1:87 decals.

Would the new RCW 8k gallon X-3 tank be close to the PQCX cars? (Per Protocraft site, PQCX 108-110 built in AC&F lot 1603 in 1937)?  The RCW cars appear to my untrained eye to be similar, other than brakes and dome relief valve details, but the prototype was built in 1927 & 1929, a decade earlier.
--
Cheers

Jeff Helm
The Olympic Peninsula Branch