Re: Sunshine long 8k dome is too small?

O Fenton Wells

Frank I too would love to have the correct size done if they become available
Fenton

On Aug 8, 2022, at 11:15 AM, Tom Madden via groups.io <pullmanboss@...> wrote:

On Mon, Aug 8, 2022 at 08:25 AM, Ken Roth wrote:

Frank,
Any chance you would be able to supply castings of the correct size dome for the 6.5k car to those of us you still have unbuilt Sunshine 6.5k kits?  Never hurts to ask I guess.

It's not that simple. The Sunshine tank pattern was a shortened InterMountain 8K tank shell but the recess where the dome sits was unchanged. Attached is a photo of Franks 6.5K pattern (ignore the dust - I just grabbed it off the shelf) and he filled in the recess, made a new dome & riveted saddle, and the upper shell is a one piece casting. No separate dome like the Sunshine kit. Of the four Sunshine X-3 versions (10K, long 8K, stubby 8K, 6.5K), the 6.5K was the biggest seller. And it still seems to fetch the highest prices on the secondary market.

Tom madden Tank6-5.jpg