Re: TOFC question

Tim O'Connor

Piggyback was a HEAVILY regulated service with different service plans that reflected the various
federal and state regulations. There was very limited interline service (say, NP & SP between Seattle
and San Francisco). Private trucking company trailers however would be seen on numerous railroads,
constrained by the regulations on private truckers!

I very much doubt you'd see an SP or NP trailer on any eastern railroad in the 1950's.

On 8/14/2022 12:55 AM, Robert G P wrote:

Hello all,

I'd like to ask how far from home territory would trailers travel by way of tofc in the 1950's?

Take C&O for example, would a trailer loaded somewhere in Virginia be sent to Colorado or Texas if thats where its respective load was consignee'd? Or would that likely be put in a boxcar or even transloaded into one (once on the C&O if initially loaded by the shipper in a C&O trailer)?

Or was tofc in that timeframe primarily used for home range traffic (once again using C&O as an example, say Richmond to Cincinnati or Chicago?

If the former is the case, lets say theres a SP or NP trailer in Va on the C&O which brought a load east - would the trailer be used to ship the westbound load to Colorado? (Like how a boxcar could be used).

-Thanks!

Sterling, Massachusetts