Re: Atomic Waste Shipments 1950s

Tim O'Connor

If I recall there was Atlantic Coast Line baggage car involved in nuclear materials transport
that was seen on its way to Denver, presumably something to do with the Rocky Flats plant.
No idea if it was waste (doubtful imo). In general, I don't think much waste was moved around,
and states have vigorously fought being used as dumping grounds.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morris_Operation

On 8/18/2022 10:58 AM, Robert G P wrote:

Hello all,

Id like to ask how Atomic Waste was shipped on the nation's RR's in the 1950s?

I know the Atomic Energy Commission had their own cars and these were manifested into regular freights.

Does anyone have pictures from the late 40's to the late '50s?

This sounds like a neat operation.

Thanks as always,
-Bob

Sterling, Massachusetts