Re: Photo: ACL Ventilated Boxcar 37853 With Live Bees Load (Undated)

Robert kirkham

The car has interesting roof fasteners.  The ends look familiar, but the number per “panel” surprises me.

Rob

On Aug 18, 2022, at 10:14 AM, Benjamin Hom <b.hom@...> wrote:

Bob Chaparro asked:
"This is a new one on me. Bees?"

Why not?  We keep forgetting that the railroads were often the only decent means to ship any cargo over mid-to-long distances, whether via carload, less-than-carload, or Railway Express.  A ventilated boxcar would be a appropriate means to ship multiple colonies of bees.

Even today, small packages of bees can be mailed via USPS Ground, and queens and attendants can be shipped by air.

Ben Hom

<ACL_37853_Live_Bees_.jpg>

<ACL_37853_Live_Bees_.jpg>