Re: Photo: ACL Ventilated Boxcar 37853 With Live Bees Load (Undated)

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi Bob, Ben, and List Members,

When I was in mainland China in 1989 in my rail travels I saw at least two separate examples of beehives mounted on railroad flat cars. I assume the flat cars together with the hives were moved for one area to another to follow the blooming plant life. So why not have the same concept here in the USA?

Claus Schlund

On 18-Aug-22 13:14, Benjamin Hom wrote:

Bob Chaparro asked:
"This is a new one on me. Bees?"

Why not?  We keep forgetting that the railroads were often the only decent means to ship any cargo over mid-to-long distances, whether via carload, less-than-carload, or Railway Express.  A ventilated boxcar would be a appropriate means to ship multiple colonies of bees.

Even today, small packages of bees can be mailed via USPS Ground, and queens and attendants can be shipped by air.

Ben Hom