Re: Atomic Waste Shipments 1950s

Jeffrey White

In 1956 the IC modified two cabooses 9791 and 9792 for the AEC in their Centralia shops.  They were returned to the railroad and the modifications removed in 1960 and the cabooses were placed back into service.

I have no other information on what the modifications were.

Jeff White

Alma IL

On 8/18/2022 4:00 PM, Tim O'Connor wrote:

Thanks Jim ! I misremembered the car - it was L&N, not ACL.

On 8/18/2022 12:40 PM, james murrie via groups.io wrote:
There were several cars, basically modified baggage cars, used by several railroads. They ran in regularly scheduled passenger trains.  For example MILW 1046 (if I remember correctly) was a 70ft heavyweight express car that ran weekly between Oak Ridge TN to Hanford WA with radioactive material. Normally ran in "The Columbian", Tr. 17/18 from Chicago and cut out to go down the branch line to Hanford reservation.

In 1961 L&N had four surplus 10-3 sleeping cars modified to baggage dorms or use by Atomic Energy Commission which were renumbered 1650-1653. Only indication of use was "Return to Oak Ridge in small letters.

And there was also SCL 666 which ran Savannah to Rocky Flats CO.

Jim Murrie

Sterling, Massachusetts