Re: Atomic Waste Shipments 1950s

Steve Stull

Tim;

The load on CISX 500 is known as Jumbo, a planned containment vessel in case the prototype Fat Man bomb was a fizzle or a complete dud.  It ended up not being used, because they couldn't figure out how to get intrumentation on it in case the bomb DID work.  I believe it was set up approx 200 feet from ground zero at the Trinity site in White Sands NM.  It survived the blast, but was empty during transport and the test.

Steve Stull
winslow7076

On Friday, August 19, 2022 at 05:26:53 AM AKDT, Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:

Bruce

Are you certain of that? Enrichment facilities at Hanford and Oak Ridge certainly produced
nuclear bomb materials, and it had to be moved to wherever warheads were being constructed.

These cannisters (photo) likely had something hazardous in them, although I don't know what it was.

And of course this famous photo (CISX 500) of stuff moved to Los Alamos.

On 8/19/2022 9:17 AM, Bruce Smith wrote:
Philip,

Hahahahahaha! No. They transported fuel, and bomb components.

It was a different era and today's safety rules were not in effect.

Regards,
Bruce

Sterling, Massachusetts