Re: Atomic Waste Shipments 1950s

Larry Goolsby

I've wondered if ACL cabooses accompanied its shipments in the 666 combine (from the Savannah River Plant, in S. Carolina across the river from the Augusta Ga. area) to Rocky Flats. Bob's Photo has a photo of an ACL red caboose coupled next to a UP caboose at a yard in Colorado - don't have the print in front of me so not sure if it's dated, but I think mid- or late 50s. ACL (and early SCL) kept a couple of wood cabooses around the Augusta area that I suspect were for this service into the early 70s, although they may have been only for local movements on ACL-SCL rather than going cross-country.

Does anybody have photos of the ACL 666/SCL 4267 in service between Chicago and Colorado?