Re: Western Maryland hoppers

Tony Thompson

Ed Mines wrote:

Were Western Maryland hoppers ever painted black?
There's a steam era photo in one of the all color books (Don Ball?) which shows a train full of these hoppers, some painted freight car red, some painted bright (caboose?) red & some in between.

That's a long-standing debate, and to my knowledge never settled. I heard it hashed out many times, by knowledgeable people, when I lived in Pittsburgh. Some WW II WM photos sure look like fresh black paint, but as I say, nothing certain. The "standard” WM hopper color certainly was a slightly reddish BCR.

Tony Thompson