Re: Need help

gary laakso

Ray, does that suggest using Westerfield sides with new ends and a roof ought to work or do we know the height was increased?

Gary Laakso
Northwest of Mike Brock

On Sep 17, 2022, at 2:20 PM, Ray Breyer via groups.io <rtbsvrr69@...> wrote:

These are NOT steel cars. Download the high-res image from the Library of Congress, and pay close attention to the sides: the horizontal end to body supports are a clear indication that these are double sheathed cars (as well as the fact that you can see the sheathing).

The Alton/C&A only ever had ONE group of cars in the 17000-series: the B-50-whatever lookalikes. They got rebuilt in the 1920s with new roofs and steels ends. As 1920s rebuilding programs are HORRIBLY recorded, i'm not surprised at all that this car has "deviant from standard" squashed Dreadnaught ends and a radial roof (and has its roof painted in a fairly shiny coat of asphaltum that's been covered in soot)

Ray Breyer
Elgin, IL

On Saturday, September 17, 2022 at 11:33:29 AM CDT, O Fenton Wells <srrfan1401@...> wrote:

I'm looking for photos and info on Alton Railroad boxcars in the 17000-17998 series for a kitbash.  These were steel with radial roofs and that's about all I know.  Charlie Duckworth posted a photo and I want to kitnbash one so any help is appreciated.  When they were folded into the GM&O RR did they keep their numbers or were they renumbered if so a GM&O photo would work as well.
Thanks in advance for any help.  You may contact me off line at srrfAN1401@... if desired. Attached is the picture from Charlie Duckworth and it is the only photo I have.
Fenton
<2EF15529-C279-4B32-9E4F-3335643D6015.jpeg>