Re: SUNX tank cars

Ian Cranstone

In the December 1920 Tank Car Tariff, the operator is listed as Delaware River & Union Railroad. A quick comparison of the 1920 and 1936 Tank Car Capacities suggests that many cars only had their reporting marks changed.

Ian Cranstone
Osgoode, Ontario, Canada
lamontc@...

On 2022-11-12 13:50, Dave Parker via groups.io wrote:

Back in the 1920s, the Sun Oil cars ran under DR&URR reporting marks.  I have four AC&F builders photos from 1920-23 that probably came from the on-line Barriger collection, one of which is Kaminski's tank car book (p. 101).  I don't know the exact dates, but the conversion to SUNX marks was underway in 1926, and complete by July of 1934 (or sooner).  My fuzzy recollection is that the car numbers were retained.

There is also a 1930 photo of a SHPX car leased to Sun on p. 42 in Kaminski's book.

Like Tony, the only images showing steam-ear cars with SUNX marks that I have seen are of models.  One would think there are some prototype photos out there, but....
--
Dave Parker
Swall Meadows, CA