From: "Richard Hendrickson" <rhendrickson@...>
To: <STMFC@...>
Sent: Sunday, June 24, 2001 1:21 PM
Subject: RE: [STMFC] Re: CRIP Reefer

Dick Harley wrote, responding to my post regarding the Rock Island wood
reefers,

And the cars were built by GATC to a design that's essentially
the same as that of contemporary PFE reefers with "RR design"
(i.e., not Bettendorf) underframes.
<snip>

Richard,
Are you sure that is not a Bettendorf underframe? The photo shows all
the
underframe characteristics of a PFE R-30-12 rather than an R-30-13: 1)
Ends of the body bolsters resemble I-beams, 2) Brake gear is all below
the
center sill, rather than through it. Looks more like a Bettendorf than a
PFE "RR design" underframe to me.
So much for responding off the top of my head. I looked at the photos and
drawings in the 1931 CBCyc and Dick is (as usual) quite right; the RI cars
had Bettendorf u/fs, so the correct analogy is with the PFE R-40-12.
Which
means that the cars would be easy to model in HO using a Red Caboose kit.
I wonder if RC has done the GATC/RI paint/lettering on these cars? If
not,
I will suggest it to Bill McC and send him copies of the prototype photos
have.

Richard H. Hendrickson
Ashland, Oregon 97520