From: <HAWK0621@...>
To: <STMFC@...>
Sent: Wednesday, July 09, 2003 10:23 AM
Subject: Re: [STMFC] IC 1937 AAR Boxcar Color

In a message dated 7/9/03 6:46:19 AM, erict1361@... writes:

Is the correct color for a IC 1937 AAR Boxcar " Boxcar Red" ?
Eric,

As built by ACF, IC box cars built 1939 through 1940, series 17000-19499,
had
sides and ends painted IC #11 maroon (what modelers typically call "box
car
red"). Roofs and underframes were coated with black car cement. Trucks
painted
black. White stencils. Wood running boards were coated with "Termineol"
(no
idea what color this was). The same scheme was used on 40' and 50' box
cars/auto
cars built from 1937-1941. The source of this information is from ACF
bills
of materials, available for review at the Mercantile Library in St. Louis.
Paint samples are included in some folders. The color was more like
"red-brown"
rather than an oxide shade.

I don't have any paint spec information for IC postwar box cars or
repainted
cars. Photos indicate sides and ends were "box car red" but I don't know
about
roof color. Hope this helps.

Regards,
Ed Hawkins