Re: Milk Industry- Kansas

h81644 <H81644@...>

Hi Folks,
I have posted a picture of the Nodaway Iowa depot in 1918. In a
folder named Midwest in the photo section. And I hope that any other
members with pictures from the area would post some of their
pictures of this area. Doc, how about Ida Grove on your bicycle.
This depot was on the CB&Q mainline which even then was double
tracked.

Note the milk cans on the east end of the depot. These would be
picked up by the local passenger train and put into baggage cars. It
would be into the 30's before trucks would be able to take over this
route and the station in Nodaway would be moved to another location
in 1935.
There were
creameries in either direction from this location. Fairmont and
Harding in Omaha and Hurd's in Council Bluffs, next to the CB&Q
fright house. East bound were Farmers COOP in Corning 10 miles away
and then SWIFT Co. and Armour in Creston, 40 miles away. All of
these towns had major cold storage plants as well, for processed
dairy products. The cold storage plant at Malvern could store a
million and a half of processed chicken and about another million
pounds of butter.

There were some billboard reefers painted for some of the larger
creameries and of the cold storage facilities, Omaha Cold Storage
is one. And there are decals avalaible for a number of these
facilities. Art Griffin and Clover House both have pretty good
selections.

George Walls
Treynor, Iowa