Re: Working doors on box cars

Mike Brock <brockm@...>

Don Valentine writes about open doors:

"My experience is quite different than this, Bill. I would say that
as many as 10% to 15% of the doors could be found open. It is aslo another
way to present an empty car so why not?"

Well, of course, if the modeler wishes to have the door closed, he merely closes the door if its closable. OTOH, a review of 4 frt trains in the Big Boy Collection video, of 254 box cars rolling past the camera, only one had a partially open door. At least one train is headed west with...I'm pretty certain MT SP box cars...36 of them in a train of 58 box cars...and only one has the partially open door. That makes only 0.39% of them with open doors. Pretty solid evidence against needing to model open doors to any extent. I'm with Ben Hom and others. Separate but not movable.

Mike Brock