Re: Working doors on box cars

Steven Delibert <STEVDEL@...>

closable. OTOH, a review of 4 frt trains in the Big Boy Collection video,
of 254 box cars rolling >past the camera, only one had a partially open
door. At least one train is headed west with...I'm >pretty

Then the video is a bad sample, or practices varied from region to region,
or UP ran an unusually tight ship (certainly not unbelievable) -- I think
the rules always said that cars weren't to be moved with doors open (keep
the hobos out), but (mostly in The Empire State) I rarely saw a train in the
40's-50's-60's without at least a couple of wide-open boxcars in it --
especially noticeable because they were so fascinating as they came abreast
and you could look through to daylight on the other side.

Steve Delibert