Re: Dark Red 'Freight Car Color'

Denny Anspach <danspach@...>

Friends-

The paint commonly used by the Milwaukee shops for new freight car and rebuild/repaint prior to ? in the '40s has been almost universally described as a "darker, more red 'freight car color'" than paints used later. Also independently taking into consideration the red-color alterations so common with the orthochromatic photographic films at the time, it is very hard to escape the impression from photos of the period that whatever the color was, it was DARK.

I have found that virtually none (that I have yet found) of the current model paints come even close to this hue of perceived rich dark red/brown. Ironically, many of the early model paints (410 M, Roundhouse, and Super) had very dark red freight car colors (probably easily so because of the presence of lead) that would probably have been "just right".

Do any of you have suggestions???

Denny
--
Denny S. Anspach, MD