Re: Silicone bath caulk

Denny Anspach <danspach@...>

Even though most, if not all, silicone caulking has some mechanical adhesive qualities, it is not a natural adhesive- the reason why you can almost always peel it off. This is more than theoretical for those who use these caulks for various reasons.

That would for me be a profoundly cautionary reason not to use it for adhesive situations where you need to depend up on it "forever" because you cannot get at it, i.e. for weights in sealed box cars. I use contact cement instead, allowing most of it (but NOT all!) to volatilize before "making the joint", and then not sealing the car until all trace of smell is essentially gone.

Weights so glued in cars in the '50s with GOO are still tight, and on the few occasions when I have had to dismantle these cars, it has taken a LOT of work to break the old GOO and/or Pliobond apart.

Denny
--
Denny S. Anspach, MD
Sacramento, CA