Re: Wheels on STEFCars.

Denny Anspach <danspach@...>

SGL wisely comments about .088" wheels-

Oh, BTW, [another lister says] that you don't see the wheels. Try some, just >have them around for a while, and you will wonder why your STEAM ERA FREIGHT >CARS
have overshoes on . . .
Wheels are VERY visible, as I think most would likely have to agree.

In the same vein, I will quote the notorious Tony Thompson: "By comparison, they [the .088" wheels] make the others [.110"] look positively PORCINE [emphasis mine]".

Both descriptions could not be more apt, nor more accurate. The only downside (aside from the expense) is that one commonly finds that he/she simply cannot change out the wheels fast enough.

I am now finding it very jarring to now be almost repelled by fine STEAM ERA FREIGHT CARS perceived to be now otherwise riding on "balloon tires".

My suggestion to good suppliers like Branch Line and Don Valentine is to take the initiative, push the envelope, and start supplying their cars routinely with .088" wheels. It pushes things firmly up a notch.

Denny

--
Denny S. Anspach, MD
Sacramento