Re: first resin kit (easy FIX)

Denny Anspach <danspach@...>

Builders of resin kits can and should benefit from many of the common sense time-honored modeling tricks that so many have used successfully for years. Among these tricks is to address warping by the shameless use of whatever hidden interior bracing that one might need. These days I usually use styrene strips. However, this summer, far from modeling supplies, I built two house cars with internal bracing cut from scrap wood on a band saw.

Before sealing up these cars for good, the interiors can often look like rabbit warrens.

Simply forcing the sides out by the insertion of the floor does indeed work most of the time, but if the warp is severe, I notice that although the bottom edge now seems straight, there can still be a very slight concave "cupping" of the middle portions of the side still resisting being pushed out flat. Making a glue sandwich with a piece of wood or thick styrene, or adding more internal bracing can solve this problem.

Mention is made of the beneficial use of calipers. I will second that. It is the kit builder's best friend.

Denny

--
Denny S. Anspach, MD
Sacramento