Re: Mobil 1

Denny Anspach <danspach@...>

It was former MR editor Lynn Westcott's firm dictum many years ago that lubricating model railroad trucks was a useless procedure. As a result, I have not done it for years, except for the occasional "squeaky wheel".

Now, however, in my dogged pursuit of the Holy Grail Ever-More-Rollable-Truck, I have found more often than not that a tiny drop of oil (LaBelle 108) on each journal can improve rollability, sometimes strikingly. My standard of measurement is a curve-segment roll tester (Reboxx). On two sets of trucks recently, fitted Reboxx wheels improved rollability by about 40%, and the simple addition of droplets of oil (Reboxx wheels) added enough to actually double the rollability. On another set of trucks, the rollability of the already-fitted Reboxx wheels was increased by 50% by lubrication.

Something to think about.

Denny

--
Denny S. Anspach, MD