Re: Navy Coffee(was: early arrival in Naperville)

Bill Daniels <billinsf@...>

The most interesting coffee maker I ever ran across
was at a large Naval installation in deepest, darkest
Idaho (yes, Virginia, the Navy does have a large
facility in Idaho) which consisted of a medium urn
with a fabric filter. It was kept clean and made
excellent coffee, well as good as the coffee that was
used.)

I remember full well the barter value of a 5 gallon
can of coffee...I remember our chief using one to
sweeten a deal with another boat to accept a
replacement main steam stop valve (we were short one
for several years) We kept requisitioning one and one
day THREE of them showed up. The SK refused to return
them (he had enough to do without going through the
mountain of paperwork). At least it was better than
float testing them...

Bill Daniels
Tucson, AZ

Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 18:25:06 -0000
From: "benjaminfrank_hom" <b.hom@...>
Subject: Re: early arrival in Naperville

Black, loaded with caffeine, and sort of smells like
it was once
fresh coffee once you get past the burnt odor from it
sitting in the
coffee maker for way too long. Godsend at 0200 on the
Midwatch. Cas
of coffee used as barter with other ships and the
shipyard. Starts
to look good after a month at sea.

Lieutenant Commander Ben Hom

http://shopping.yahoo.com