Modeling freight car distribution.

Bruce Smith <smithbf@...>

Howdy,

Continuing on my theme of trying to get the freight car balance correct
for my 1944 PRR layout, I've come up with the following. For boxcars
I use the regional percentages for 1943 and the percentages within each
region owned by the major railroads, provided by y'all (esp.Tim
Gilbert). I assigned Ted's list of signature cars, and began to
investigate which car classes are appropriate for each road. I will
need around 100 foreign box cars. The cars listed below with an
asterix are from Ted's list. The remainder are either cars I have
identified as being the major car, or that I have in my collection. In
some cases, such as the UP cars, I've given the fleet totals.

New England 2.5%
1 New Haven - 36’ rebuilt (F&C)
1 B&M - ARA SS (F&C) *?
1 MEC

Great Lakes 18.1%
9 NYC (not PLE)
2 x USRA Steel *
50’ single door (P2K)
2 Erie
1937 AAR, (Sun) *
50’ single door (P2K)
2 Wabash
SS Autocar (Sunshine) *
1 GTW
1 NKP
1 DL&W - 1937 AAR (IMWX)*

Central East 18.1% (REMOVED PRR)
5 B&O
M53 Wagon top (West Shore) *
2 x M26 (X29 clone) *
1 RDG
1 CNJ
1 Monon
1 C&EI

Pocahontas 3.1%
3 C&O
USRA SS (Westerfield 3303)
1 N&W

Southern 14.6%
4 Southern
1937 AAR (RC) *
DS Autocar (Sunshine) *
36’ truss rod (Westerfield) *
3Illinois Central
2 L&N
2 ACL
2 SAL
B-3/4/5 ARA SS (F&C?)*
AF-1 Round roof (Sunshine)

Northwest 16.6%
4 Milwaukee
1-2 SS boxcar (Sunshine) *
Rib side (Sunshine) *
3 GN
DS boxcar (Sunshine) *
3 CN&W
SS “short” (Sunshine) *
3 NP
DS boxcar (Sunshine) *
1Soo

Central West 19.3%
5 AT&SF
BX-11,12,13 SS (Westerfield) *
4 SP
Cotton Belt DS (Sunshine) *
B-50-13/14 (Sunshine) *
B-50-15/16 (Sunshine) *
4 UP
B-50-17 (Sunshine) (2282)
B-50-19/21/23 (RC?) (3065)
B-50-24/27 (Trix) (3357)
B-50-32/33 (Sunshine) (2749)
B-50-34/35 (PS-0, NEB&W) (50)
3 CB&Q
2 Rock Island

Southwest 7.6%
3 Mo Pac
Howe truss SS (Sunshine) *
2 SL&SF
SS boxcar (Sunshine) *
1 TN&O

You will note that there are some "holes" left...the cars above do not
add to 100. This gives me the flexibility to add in some unusual or
"rare" cars, at the right mix. Some others from Ted's list are:
CP minibox (F&C) *
LV “wrong way” (Sunshine/F&C) *

In addition, I have yet to identify many of the "signature cars" that
were not on Ted's list. Anyone with suggestions for the roads listed
in this table, please feel free to make them!! I am looking for the
dominant boxcar class for those roads (and hopefully, an HO scale
model!)

Happy Rails
Bruce