Re: BAR Reefers

Tim O'Connor

Tim, I have a very nice 1950's photo of BAR #6722, a wood reefer
in blue (lower half) and white (upper half) with a big red potato
logo. There is a second car painted the same way in the photo,
perhaps #6039. Champ Decals made a set for this paint scheme --
HR-43.

If anyone can recommend how to model this car, I'd love to hear it!
Could I use the Sunshine MDT kit 20.4? (Is that the prototype?)

now when did the color change from blue and white to yellow/orange?
Would a blue and white one have lasted until 1953?
The Red, White and Blue STATE OF MAINE cars were not reefers, but were
boxcars - some of them insulated. The scheme started to be applied in
the early 1950's.

The BAR did not buy their first reefer until 1951. The first series 338
strong in 1/1953, #6000-6999, were ex-MDT reefers and were painted
yellow with black ends. The second series were the #7000-7856 which were
built by Pacific Car & Foundry - 500 in 1951-52 and another 357 in 1953.
These had yellow sides and ends. The #7000's were the ones rented to
PFE during the summer - the off-season for Aroostook County spuds.

Tim Gilbert

Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> -->> NOTE EMAIL CHANGE <<--
Sterling, Massachusetts