Re: Rock Island Aluminum Exp. Boxcars

Denny Anspach <danspach@...>

I unintentionally mislead listers about the RI Herald. When I said red, I meant red OUTLINE (aluminum background), not the expected red background. This is consistent with the referenced known as-built b&w photos.. Does this make any difference in posters' opinions?

I also have respected the accuracy of the schemes on the Globe cars (Frank Taylor, past editor of Model Railroader was part or half owner). However, Varney initiated his model in 1946, virtually right after the cars were built. If memory serves, Globe did not go into business until 1948. Could the red on aluminum not have stood up in use, and the lettering copied by Globe had already been changed to black by then?

From a pure aesthetic point of view, the red lettering is superior. I would feel the same about an M&StL "green".

Denny

--
Denny S. Anspach, MD