Re: Rock Island Aluminum Exp. Boxcars

Denny Anspach <danspach@...>

Friends, the consensus (both on and off list posts) seems to so far be that the cars were delivered with the red ...ROCKETS and *outline* ROCK ISLAND heralds, but when they were shopped, these were changed to black. Tipping the scales are reports of direct inspection of the cars in the years of interest (c.1946-50). I would suspect that the reason was the same that the red scheme, limited as it was, did not last on the streamlined GOLDEN STATE/ROCKET cars: the red simply did not stand up.

In this regard, the Varney, Globe, and Sunshine versions would all seem to be correct for defined time periods.

I too have looked at the published builders' photos. Posing a probably pretty safe presumption that the photos were undertaken with orthochromatic film, I do not believe that one can really tell whether some or all of the lettering is "black"or "red".

Now, just how do I change the color of the lettering on the Sunshine decals (-:)?

Denny

--
Denny S. Anspach, MD
Sacramento