Re: AAR 1944 boxcars

Clark Propst <cepropst@...>

There's a photo on the Wheeler CD of an unusual SOO 50' box car. It appears
to have 10'6" IH, 4/5 Dreadnaught end with square corners, 5 panels on each
side of center hung double doors. Any idea how popular this design was? Really
neat car, I would like to kitbash one sometime.
Clark Propst

jaley wrote:

On Oct 10, 11:18am, ThisIsR@aol.com wrote:
Subject: [STMFC] AAR 1944 boxcars
Hello List:
What is the difference between the AAR 1937 and AAR 1944 boxcars?
I've
also seem references to "modified AAR 1937" and "12 panel cars." Is
the
"modified
AAR 1937" just the increased height car? Thank you!

Richard Stallworth
Richard,

I'll take a stab at this (from memory) and see how my answer
compares with those of the experts.

The '37 AAR car was originally built with square corner posts, and later
transitioned to "W"-section corner posts (which externally means that the
junction of the end and side went from crisp right angle to a slight
curve).

All '44 AAR cars had W-section corner posts.

--

The '37 cars had 4/5 Dreadnaught ends and 10'0" IH.
The '44 cars had 4/4 or R/3/4 Improved Dreadnaught ends and 10'6 IH. The

--

The '37 cars had flat-panel roofs.
The '44 cars had diagonal-panel roofs.

I'm not sure if the presence of a different type of roof (e.g.
Viking) necessarily disqualifies a car from being an AAR; wasn't there a
recent thread on that topic?

--

The "modified '37" aka "1942 AAR" was the '37 car with a 10'6" IH and
corresponding increase in the number of end ribs to 5/5 Dreadnaught.

--

I don't know anything about the 12 panel cars.

--

I hope this helps, and I hope I got the facts right. I'm sure corrections
will be forthcoming if I'm wrong!!

Regards,

-Jeff

--