Re: Train Shed Cyclopedias

Richard Hendrickson

Ben Hom's post on sources for freight car research was very well done and,
along with Byron's, should be archived as a national resource.

However, I must respectfully disagree with Byron about the value of Train
Shed Cyclopedias and ORERs for relative newcomers to the subject. Warren
sounds to me like he's hitting the ground running and will be able to make
good use of these documents by next week, if he isn't there already. When
I was just beginning to get interested in freight cars, at a time when very
little information was readily available, I got an ORER for the date I
model, quickly learned how to interpret the data, and used it so much that
I literally wore it out and have since had to replace it. And I
enthusiastically welcomed the advent of the Train Shed Cyclopedias, which I
found to be goldmines of information. The issue is perhaps more one of
intent than experience. Dabblers are easily overwhelmed, and for them
Byron's advice is doubtless appropriate. But Warren doesn't strike me as a
dabbler, especially in view of his extensive experience in other realms of
scale modeling and prototype research, so I'd advise him to go for it.

Richard H. Hendrickson
Ashland, Oregon 97520