Re: IC Service on the Iowa Division

Denny Anspach <danspach@...>

The fascinating information about the blurring of craft distinctions in the operation of IC hot trains was totally interesting. How common would this have been on other railroads?

Although the IC and banana traffic has always seemed to be a "natural", one does not naturally put the two together when referring to the Iowa Division. Am I mistaken that Jim Singer presented clinics in Naperville and Cocoa Beach a year ago pointing out that Dubuque, Iowa (a major point on the Iowa Division) was a major banana terminal?

When thinking of "hot" trains on the Iowa Division, we have traditionally thought of the eastbound meat trains out of Omaha and Sioux City. If there were now "hot" banana trains as well, these would seem to have been all westbound.

Denny
--
Denny S. Anspach, MD
Sacramento