Banana Train Movements - East vs West

Shawn Beckert

List,

I wonder if anyone has attempted to plot banana train
movements as far as who covered what territory, and if
there was any kind of overlap in service. IC obviously
got the lions share of business coming up from the Gulf,
and without the PFE book in front of me I'll guess that
SP-UP-CNW got the bulk of United Fruit's traffic out of
San Francisco going East. It would be kind of interesting
to find out if IC banana reefers interchanged onto the
western railroads and vice-versa. Or did everybody stay
in their respective service territories?

Shawn Beckert