Re: IC Service on the Iowa Division

Ted Schnepf <railsunl@...>

Hi Denny and List,

The IC banana trains into Dubuque were hot. These trains typically were broken up between the CBQ, Milw, CGW and some cars continuing into Iowa on the IC. The Milw would run a special train for as few as 7 cars. It had a steamer, caboose and crew waiting for the IC to make the interchange so as to expedite the movement northward.

ted

At 10:48 AM 12/4/2003, you wrote:
The fascinating information about the blurring of craft distinctions
in the operation of IC hot trains was totally interesting. How common
would this have been on other railroads?

Although the IC and banana traffic has always seemed to be a
"natural", one does not naturally put the two together when referring
to the Iowa Division. Am I mistaken that Jim Singer presented
clinics in Naperville and Cocoa Beach a year ago pointing out that
Dubuque, Iowa (a major point on the Iowa Division) was a major banana
terminal?

When thinking of "hot" trains on the Iowa Division, we have
traditionally thought of the eastbound meat trains out of Omaha and
Sioux City. If there were now "hot" banana trains as well, these
would seem to have been all westbound.

Denny
--
Denny S. Anspach, MD
Sacramento

Rails Unlimited
Ted Schnepf
126 Will Scarlet
Elgin, Ill 60120
847-697-5353 or 847-697-5366
railsunl@...
http://users.foxvalley.net/~railsunl/
Model railroad sales, DCC supplies, Books new and used
O scale urethane cars, Photos and darkroom services
Checks, cash or credit (secure server at web site-3% added)