Re: IC Service on the Iowa Division

Ted Schnepf <railsunl@...>

Hi Larry,

The Dubuque Division engineer who told me about banana trains said, the longest haul the reefers could reach from New Orleans, with expedited handling, was Winnipeg, Canada. These reefers normally traveled under the supervision of a banana messenger, who rode the train and determined the icing, ventilation and /or heating needed for each load.

I believe even today bananas are very perishable.

ted

At 09:39 PM 12/4/2003, you wrote:

On Thursday, December 4, 2003, at 10:05 PM, Ted Schnepf wrote:

Hi Denny and List,

The IC banana trains into Dubuque were hot.
A question: What was the hurry on moving a car of Bananas? If you kept
them at 45 degrees, they would not ripen.
We got a car load in once before we had room to unload it. So we kept
it well iced with salt on the ice and held for a day and a half before
unloading. We held it in the cold room at 45 degrees for an other 3
days and they were still green.
Thank you
Larry Jackman
Rails Unlimited
Ted Schnepf
126 Will Scarlet
Elgin, Ill 60120
847-697-5353 or 847-697-5366
railsunl@...
http://users.foxvalley.net/~railsunl/
Model railroad sales, DCC supplies, Books new and used
O scale urethane cars, Photos and darkroom services
Checks, cash or credit (secure server at web site-3% added)