Re: IC Reefers

Richard Hendrickson

Denny Anspach writes:

In my "collection" of ancient HO Athearn metal cars and car kits are
two IC reefers (identical model numbers- #402), but with two
different car #'s - 50456, and 50234. Both have yellow sides and
green lettering. However, the former car has black ends and a painted
aluminum roof, hatches and running boards while the latter car has
Oxide roof and ends.

Which scheme(s) is/are correct, or both?

To further confuse things , a Varney papersides reefer 50200 (R-16,
1942-90) has black ends and an oxide roof; a very early Varney metal
reefer 51004 (R-27, 1950-51) has aluminum sides, ends, and roof, but
with green lettering.
Some, if not all, of the 1937 IC steel reefers apparently had aluminum
painted roofs; I have a photo of nearly-new 50034 at Jackson MS in 12/37
and the roof is clearly aluminum. But later b/w photos of the steel cars
show them with dark roofs, which other documentation indicates were olive
green.

The Varney all-aluminum reefer numbered 51004 represents one of a small
number of post-WW-II cars which were built of aluminum and left unpainted.

Richard H. Hendrickson
Ashland, Oregon 97520