From: Denny Anspach [mailto:danspach@...]
Sent: Monday, December 08, 2003 11:08 AM
To: STMFC@...
Subject: [STMFC] Re: Truck Wheels

Spen Kellogg inquires-

Have just spent a tedious amount of time painting wheelsets and then
polishing the treads to get the wheels to look correct. What
methods are commonly used and how do you keep it from being a real
chore? Shortcuts, tips, and tricks are all welcome.

My default standard on all of my freight trucks is to progressively
convert to Reboxx .088" wheel sets, something that I have been doing
now for at least three years. These wheels have a natural rather dark
silvery sheen that makes the treads look just right IMHO. After
wheelset change-out, and before refastening the truck back on the car
I routinely each time then paint the truck frame, both sides of the
wheels and the axle Floquil Rail Brown. I have developed a means of
holding the truck by its bolster in my left hand with my thumb and
third finger so that I can spin the wheelset to be painted with my
second finger, and a particular brush that just "fits". The entire
process for one truck takes probably no more than about two minutes,
and at the end the truck stands out because of its remaining shiny
treads (and the thin .088" wheel treads certainly do help).

This of course does not prevent added aging and weathering, if
desired, or the use of other paint colors if the particular model
requires it.

--
Denny S. Anspach, MD
Sacramento, CA