From: <ibs4421@...>
To: <STMFC@...>
Sent: Thursday, January 11, 2001 1:41 PM
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Train Shed Cyclopedias

Question: What is the Squadron series like? I've never modeled anything
but railroads, so I'm not familiar with the data contained therein.

Jeff,
First, the line is from "A Freightcar Named Desire".

The Squadron "In Action" series is arranged thusly: Horizontal
format
softcover books dedicated to one particular subject, usually about 50
pages
in length, and LOADED with B&W photos with good, concise captions beneath
each one detailing time, location, etc. inaddition to anything of
particular
interest to the modeler. In addition there are ususally several scale
drawings in three views and also some detailing certain areas of the a/c,
armor, or ship in question that provide good detail for the modeler, in
addition to detail differences between certain production models. The
center spread consists of several renderings of the subject in profile,
but
in color to show color variations, paint schemes, etc.
In my imagined "more perfect world" if these were available for steam
era freight cars, the following would happen, as this is what used to
happen
when I built scale models of other subjects:
I would arrive at my hobby shop of choice with money in hand to
purchase a model. OK, so today I'm in a tank car mood, so I stroll on
down
the aisle, and there are some undec. P2K 8,000 gal. tank cars. (Hey! I
said
it was my perfect world, OK?) I pick up a couple, and then wind my way
over to the magazine & book section. Ahh!, there they are, the new
Hendrickson/Nehrich "In Service" series of horizontal format books on
steam
era freight cars. I spin the carousel, and there's the one I want, "Type
21
Tank Cars In Service", and there's a cool painting on the front of a
Shippers Car Line 8K Tank Car sitting in a freight yard w/ a switcher
about
to couple on to it. There are two more paintings on the back with
captions
each showing a Type 21 Tank Car with different reproting marks or paint
schemes. thumbing through it I notice that it is chock full of B&W photos
of these cars doing what they do best, and covering most of the different
reporting marks and paint schemes throughout their service life. There
are
little tech. drawings all through it showing the different little
apputerenances like the plumbing, brakes systems, etc. that were applied
these cars over time. Yep, just what I need to model a prototypically
correct model in one volume. After purchasing these items, I hop in my
car
and head home listening to cool bluegrass music about railroads.
Since there seems to be an undercurrent these days for more
prototypical
modeling, I think that a "single source" volume of information such as
these
would provide would be a viable thing. Just think of what subjects you
could decently covere in 50 pages of photos and drawings? Aside from
certain freight car designs, you could do some on the USRA steam locos,
and
the first generation diesels.
If I hit a big Powerball one day, some of ya'll will find new jobs
working for me to produce these things. <G!>

Warren