Re: AD&N box

Garth G. Groff <ggg9y@...>

Tim,

I dunno. I've seen something like those bolster tabs somewhere, but I
can't place them right now. Maybe PSSC? The closeness of the top rib to
the roofline suggest this car might be less than 10' 6" IH. Also that
looks like an 8' door, probably a rebuild if you consider the narrow
width of the panels on either side. Definitely a treasure!

The AD&N was notorious for picking up weird small lots of old boxcars,
including lots of ex-PRR round-roofs.

Kind regards,

Garth G. Groff

Tim O'Connor wrote:

John thinks this is a 1937 [sic] AAR boxcar, but the more I look
the weirder it gets -- the roof appears to be flat for example. But
more interesting is the rivet/panel pattern on the sides -- they seem
to be irregular, more like a 1923 ARA than the 1940 AAR.

http://www.union.rpi.edu/railroad/images/rolling-stock/Propst's-photos/ri-adn1474-7009-sdm.jpg

Timothy O'Connor <timoconnor@...>
Sterling, Massachusetts