Re: Truck dimensions

Alan C. Welch <acwelch@...>

At 07:34 AM 2/21/2004 -0800, you wrote:
Yes but unfortunately for the cad enthusiast only a small number of
dimensions are documented. It'a very hard to find enough information in
those drawings to be able to "re-"draw any of the trucks.

Dave Nelson
I have done quite a few drawings of prototype equipment using CAD, not that the drawing medium matters.

The drawings in the CBCs are generally very carefully drawn and once one determines the scale in which they are printed, they can be a very good source of dimensions, especially if you keep in mind that the decimal inch was not in use. This means that one can count on the dimensions to be in fractions of an inch, usually no finer gradation than 1/8".

You can often find a feature on the drawing, such as a key dimension or a wheel diameter that will enable the scale to be determined fairly easily. Photos are also amenable to this type of interpretation and the advent of Photoshop has made this much easier. Drawings and photos can be scanned and imported into the drafting program. Once the scale is known, one can draw over the scan. There is a bit of an art to this and if anyone is interested in hearing more, you can contact me.

Al Welch