Re: Canadian Freight Cars in The U.S.

Jeff English

Obviously, my previous post regarding the distinctions between
"pulp", "wood pulp" and "pulp wood" didn't get interpreted the way I
intended. The question is whether these were distinguished under
the tariffs and therefore treated differently, and how the economics
drove the decision to ship it as unpulped wood or pulp it first and
then ship. Moreover, is there a tariff distinction between "pulp" and
"wood pulp", or was the clerk simply being inconsistent with his
entries?
I also neglected to mention 124 cars of "pulpboard" which is
clearly what we also call "chip board" or "particle board".
Consignees were mainly lumber companies or mfrs of low-end
furniture
Somebody mentioned small quantities of pulp being bought by
specialty manufacturers such as Strathmore. I can assure you
that the majority of the pulp being shipped over the Rutland in 1961
was consigned to the mega-plants of the day in New England,
particularly St Regis Paper in both Bucksport, Maine, and East
Pepperell, Mass. The Rutland also carried the finished product
from the same plants going to west to such "fine, specialty"
customers as R. R. Donnelley (printers of the Sears catalog among
other things). That being said, Strathmore themselves were indeed
among the receivers of pulp in this database, but only in minor
proportion.
This pulp traffic moved entirely in general-service box cars, not
open-roofed.
Jeff English Troy, New York
Proto:64 Classic Era Railroad Modeling
englij@...