Re: Canadian Freight Cars in The U.S.


forest products: 1) Canadian-sourced
raw material* bound for US paper mills (both east and westbound,
believe it or not), 2) Canadian-made paper bound for US
consumption, 3) Canadian lumber bound for US consumption.
* variously listed as "pulp," "pulp wood" and "wood pulp." Can
anyone explain the difference among these? Also, what are "grd
wood," "grd board," "gd wood," "gwd wood" or "gwd paper"?>>

"Pulpwood" gets ground up, chemicals and heat added to make
"Wood pulp," a soft, damp blanket-like material which is sometimes shipped to
other mills. It is repulped (liquified again) and put on the paper machines
to make
"groundwood paper" or "groundwood paperboard," as distinct (for ratemaking
purposes) from paper products made from recycled material, rags, etc; in
other words, "new" or "virgin" paper.

is there a tariff distinction between "pulp" and
"wood pulp," or was the clerk simply being inconsistent with his
I also neglected to mention 124 cars of "pulpboard" which is
clearly what we also call "chip board" or "particle board."
Consignees were mainly lumber companies or mfrs of low-end

"Pulp" and "wood pulp" are most likely the same thing in the shipments you
saw. While I suppose there is such a thing as non-wood pulp I doubt it sees
much shipment between mills. However, "pulpboard" is a paper product, not a
"lumber" product. It's often called "corrugating medium," ie the stuff
cardboard boxes are made of.

Operations SIG

Join to automatically receive all group messages.