Brake appliances on PMcK&Y USRA rebuilds, circa 1935

Rob Adams

I'm getting ready to build a couple of the Tichy #4028 USRA SS box car steel side rebuilds to model cars from PMcK&Y series 83400-83499. Based on an excellent picture in Train Shed Cyc No. 75, several detail changes will be warranted.

One question I can't answer from the photo is whether the cars received AB brakes as part of the re-building in late 1934. AB brakes were required on newly constructed cars by that time, but my understanding is that the requirement wasn't extended to rebuilds until Jan 1, 1937.

Can any of you provide some guidance here? I'm trying to model the cars as they would have been at rebuilding Circa 1935. Thanks in advance.

Best regards, Rob Adams