Re: nonlivestock loading in stockcars

Schuyler Larrabee

-----Original Message-----
From: George [mailto:gsc3@...]

In the N&W video "Fast Freight Operation" a
stockcar is
shown being loaded with bricks. Wondered if the
receiver was
a building supply company?
George
Probably to a brickyard, or possibly being shipped
directly to a team track to be loaded onto trucks
for delivery to a building site.

I often specified brick (I'm an architect) from
Nebraska, or from the South, Georgia, or South
Carolina. I was always curious about the shipping
and routing, but was never able to get anybody to
take my questions seriously. "What the hell
difference does it make?" In one case, however, I
was very disappointed to find that the brick was
being shipped by truck "because the train's too
slow."

Brick? Hot freight? Go figure.

SGL