Re: Loads: Weight of steel beams

Scott Pitzer

Based on Mike Aufderheide's and Fred Swanson's replies, it seems that my eight 44' beams would be somewhere around 120,000 lbs., so I think I'll go with that.
But I also tried mixing parts of other replies... to fit my "abilities" and I know my answer was wrong. Would anyone like to try to figure out why?
Not having a graduated cylinder, I stuck all eight beams halfway into a measuring cup (that's as far as they'd go) and I divided the resulting displacement to come up with 3 ml (or 3 cc) displaced by one whole beam. Since it's already a volume measure, I only have to multiply by 87 to convert for HO scale, correct? (Not 87x87x87 as when starting with lengths.) So 3cc scales out to 261cc.
If a cc of steel weighs 8 grams, then the prototype steel beam would weigh 261x8= 2088 grams. If there are about 454 grams in a pound, then the 44' beam only weighs 4 1/2 pounds!
?????

Scott Pitzer